Date:      Sat, 07 Feb 1998 16:56:52 -0600
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@demon.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot floppy banner

Mike Smith writes:

>What has to happen is that someone has to write the third-stage
>bootstrap.  The biosboot code will shrink substantially when this
>happens.

Ok.  Forgive my ignorance in any of the below comments - I probably
need to hit myself over the head with a clue-by-four as far as
i386 booting goes.. :)

AIUI, with the two-stage boot process at the moment (MBR and biosboot),
the i386 validates the contents of the first few sectors of the disk,
loads in biosboot at some low memory location, this code runs, prints
up the boot prompt, determines the kernel image to load, blits it in
at the 1Mb region, and passes control over and away we go.  As far
as the end user is concerned, they can either sit and do nothing,
or type one line of text to load a different kernel..

Splitting this into three stage process:

	1.  MBR loads biosboot at <low memory location>
	2.  biosboot runs and prompts
		"where do you want to load the next boot program?"
	3.  biosboot loads <boot3> at <somewhere below 512k>
	4.  <boot3> runs and prompts
		"which kernel do you want to load?"
	5.  <boot3> loads <kernel> at 1Mb
	6.  kernel runs..

Assuming I haven't messed up anywhere above :), I don't see where
the code shrinkage comes from.. biosboot still needs BAD144 etc..
to be able to load the 3rd stage boot, and we still want to give
the pilot a choice as to where this code is loaded from..

-aDe [currently confused, as usual..]

--
Ade Lovett, Demon Internet, Austin, Texas.