Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2012 20:47:04 -0500
From:      "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
To:        Leslie Jensen <leslie@eskk.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Light" word processor plus the occasional spreadsheet

On 15 November 2012 04:06, Leslie Jensen <leslie@eskk.nu> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I mainly use LibreOffice and it works for me.
>
> My problem now is that the build time for LibreOffice on a little older
> hardware is very long.
>
> Is there an alternative to writer that does not take that long to build?
>
> If I can get an alternative to Calc also it's a plus but not a big problem.
>
> The main work I do will still be done on machines that can build
> LibreOffice. Now and then I need to open an attached file, maybe edit it and
> send it back. It's for that purpose I need the light version.

Maybe because 20+ years ago I learnt wordstar, so if
you grew up on pointin' & clickin' you'll be sorely dis-
appointed, but I enjoy the jstar mode of editors/joe
(or actually editors/jupp, some dif'rence, mostly).

Pathetic writer, from siag isn't half bad, but you'll have
to build from sources all by your lonesome, & it ain't
gonna work at first.

The downside is the general inability to simply open
/certain proprietary formats/ which libre- & open-office
have.

But then I'm a fan of editing & writing with a simple
editing & writing program & saving all the font & other
extraneous formatting nonsense to a proper layout
program (the old Aldus PageMaker was nice back
in the 1990s, haha):  print/scribus might be an option,
except that it pulls in every accursed KDE/qt4 thing
on Earth.