Date:      03 Sep 2002 16:37:43 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Bram Moolenaar <Bram@moolenaar.net>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Missing dependency in FreeBSD ports

On Tue, 2002-09-03 at 16:33, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Joe -
>
> > > While attempting to install the textproc/docproj port, I ran into this
> > > error:
> > >
> > > checking for python... /usr/local/bin/python
> > > Found Python version 2.2
> > > Warning: Missing libxml2-python
> > > Enabling debugger
> > > checking for libxml libraries >= 2.4.23... configure: error: Version 2.4.12 found. You need at least libxml2 2.4.23 for this version of libxslt
> > > ===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
> > >       Please report the problem to gnome@FreeBSD.org [maintainer] and attach
> > >       the "/usr/ports/textproc/libxslt/work/libxslt-1.0.20/config.log"
> > >       including the output of the failure of your make command. Also, it might
> > >       be a good idea to provide an overview of all packages installed on your
> > >       system (e.g. an `ls /var/db/pkg`).
> > > *** Error code 1
> > >
> > > Stop in /usr/ports/textproc/libxslt.
> > > *** Error code 1
> > >
> > > Is this a known problem?  If you need additional info, let me know.
> > >
> > > I installed libxml2 manually and building continued.
> >

> > Take a look at the error.  Your libxml2 is slightly out of date.
> > Unfortunately, the ports tree isn't able to check dependency versions.
>
> Why not?  I'm sure it can check versions in several ways, why would it
> not be able to detect the version of libxml2?

If the shared lib number changed, it would be detected.  However, when
the port revs, there's no current built-in scheme to detect this.
sobnomax@ was working on something to do that, but I'm not sure what the
status is.

portupgrade is a good tool for this.  It also comes with a portinstall
tool that lets you install new ports, and handles dependencies.

Joe