Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 1998 22:02:07 +0400
From:      Alexandre Snarskii <snar@paranoia.ru>
To:        Stunt Pope <markjr@shmOOze.net>
Cc:        Khetan Gajjar <khetan@iafrica.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding footers automatically to served HTML pages

On Wed, Apr 29, 1998 at 10:44:18AM -0400, Stunt Pope wrote:
> > This isn't stricly a FreeBSD query, but I thought I might ask,
> > since this is a list for ISP's - and someone here _must_ have
> > done this before :-)
> >
> > Using Apache 1.2.6 on a 2.2.6-STABLE machine.
> >
> > I'd like to setup Apache to append a footer file to all HTML
> > pages served by it. Any points on how to do this ?
> >

> You could turn on SSI's (Server Side Includes) and then use
>
> <!--#include footer.html-->
>
> at the bottom of all your pages. Personally I'd use something like
> php3 (cause I'm biased) since you can do a lot more with it than
> include footers.
>
> But SSI's is the easiest way. Check www.apache.org and run a search on
> it.

It's easiest way in case when you or your co-workers writes these
pages. In the situation, where you're have no control on web-publish
( i.e. you allow your users to upload their pages via ftp ) but
have a need to add a footer to any page on your server it's not
easiest way :)

Really easiesh way is:

AddHandler footers .html
Action footers /cgi-bin/footers.html

in your srm.conf ( or httpd.conf, if you dont use srm ),
where /cgi-bin/footers.html is _an executable_, like

---------------- cut here ------------------------
#!/bin/sh
cat $PATH_TRANSLATED
echo "<hr>"
echo "this page is hoted by best Internet Provider in this region of Earth"

This script must be located in your ScriptAlias directory.

PS: AddHandler contexts are: server config, virtual host, directory, .htaccess,
so, if you have need to 'footify' only part of your server -
you can do it easily.
--
Alexandre Snarskii
the source code is included