Date:      Sat, 17 May 1997 14:53:57 +1000
From:      Joel Sutton <sutton@aardvark.apana.org.au>
To:        Stick <stick11@razorlogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, is it for me?

> I was thinking of hosting my own Internet site using my computer, is
> that possible using FreeBSD? If so what else will I need to make this
> possible?

It sure is. Most of the server software that you might need (www, ftp
etc..) are included in the ports collection. Sendmail (for email),
telnet and other bits and pieces like that come with the system.

> The university that i am attending run three unix base systems for their
> web server, e-mail, and other stuff.  If i had FreeBSD, is there a way
> that i connect to their computers?

There are various comm programs (like HyperTerminal or Telix)
available or you could use a TCP/IP connection with a PPP dialup line
or Ethernet.

> The classes i am taking at this university have my using unix on
> occasions, could i use FreeBSD on my computer to learn more and do some
> of my work on my computer rather than using Hyper Terminal (W95) to
> connect to the Universities computers?

Yes you could. You can even set up a dual boot system so that you can
use Windows 95 or FreeBSD as required. You should check with your
school as to what sort of UNIX they run. Some versions of UNIX can be
quite different but it depends on what you're doing at school as to
whether there will be any major compatibility problems.

I found that setting up FreeBSD on my home machine (a 386 with 8 meg
of RAM then) was reasonably easy and the experience I gained from just
"making it work how I wanted it to" has been very useful at school
and at work.

Plus, if you have a problem with your system you can send email to
this list to get assistance. Unless its a really though one, the reply
time is usually pretty short.

I hope this helps, Joel...