Date:      Wed, 13 Jul 2022 00:34:03 -0400
From:      grarpamp <grarpamp@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: offline install of perl

On 7/12/22, Ryan Richter <ryan@2solnu.net> wrote:
> I have a machine with a fresh install of freebsd 13.1 which will never
> be conected to the internet.  I need to install perl on it (nothing
> else), but I can only transfer files by usb drive from linux machines.
>
> This seems like a simple thing, but I've been looking at documentation
> for a long time now and I can't find anything.  pkg looks relevant, but
> it is not actually installed, and anyway I can't find the url of any
> perl 5 package for 13.1 (the pkg servers seems to have directory
> listings disabled).

There could be a ticket to re-enable them, or to enable rsync there,
otherwise there's no easy way to know the filename,
to fetch, to untar, because...

In general, pkg-static cannot strap work offline because it has no option
to import a local (usb) copy of packagesite.pkg (or the raw json),
upon which the pkg system depends to find metainfo about
the pkg files, to dump into its sqlite version, and for other ops.
You can make a ticket for that problem too.

It's prohibitive amount work to try to setup a usb hier, to get the BSD
box to serve that up as a pkg-static remote on localhost, to then point the
pkg-static client at localhost, just to add a few apps... when a few patches
to pkg can give better functionality for everyone needing the offline scenario.

Once pkg-static built the sql from the fetched and imported packagesite.pkg
yaml json download, simple pkg-static adds can be done from fetched pkg
tarballs named within that file.