Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 1996 01:13:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      wb2oyc@cyberenet.net
To:        (Paul DuBois) <dubois@primate.wisc.edu>
Cc:        andrew@MNSi.Net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: coexistance with DOS

On 24-Oct-96 dubois@primate.wisc.edu wrote:
>>Kyle Hellewell writes:
>> Hi!  I'd like to know if it's possable to have freebsd coexist with Dos,
>> on one partition.  I know with Linux, it defaults to useing a boot disk
>
>You can run Linux and DOS from the same partition?

Paul DuBois,

  Yes you can.  Linux supports a filesystem type known as "umsdos" which
is UFS-like on top of plain ole FAT.  NOt recommended, and not real safe
or stable, but it does work.  In fact, I have such a 'Linux' (Slackware)
on this very same machine that also runs Debian and FreeBSD.  I use that
umsdos Linux as an emergency kind of thing, in case I might encounter some
disaster, I've found it helpful, and certainly better than booting DOS or
some unix-like thing from floppy.

Paul

E-Mail: wb2oyc@cyberenet.net
Date: 10/26/96