Date:      Tue, 7 Sep 1999 09:18:00 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Travis Stevenson <tstevenson@lcsd2.org>
To:        John Barbee <jbarbee@singular.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cyrus imap: cyradm core dumps

John Barbee <jbarbee@singular.com> said:

> >I have been running Cyrus Imap 1.5.19 with FreeBSD 3.1 just fine.  You are
> >going to need to give more details to your setup to see if there is any
> >different in the way you did it.
>
> ok..
>
> I went to /usr/ports/mail/cyrus and did make install.  Cyrus installed fine
> with only noticeable error.  The installer couldn't find pw and told me to
> add the cyrus group manually.  Other than that the installation seems fine.

First of all I went to Cyrus home page and download it from there and compiled it.  I have always found that to be easier to understand than to try and figure out how a port does it.  Cyrus also has Install instructions that give detailed info on how the directories should look.

> from /etc/group
> cyrus:*:60:daemon

 cyrus is a user not a group:
 mail is the group:

/etc/group should be "mail:*:*:daemon"

> the uncommented lines of /usr/local/etc/imapd.conf
> configdirectory: /usr/local/etc/imap
> partition-default: /var/spool/imap
> admins: root

imapd.conf is suppost to be /etc/imapd.conf ?
This is how mine looks
--
configdirectory: /var/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap

> but if i run cyradm
> fserver# cyradm -user root localhost 143
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Try "cyradm localhost"

This will ask you for a name and a password

> as far as i know all cyrus related files are owned by cyrus, but i could
> show the output of that if anyone thinks it's useful.
>
> cyrus itself seems to be ok.  like i said, this wouldn't be so urgent if
> there was some way to add mailboxes without cyradm, but nonetheless, i'd
> like to the utility fixed.

Cyrus can seg fault on the craziest things.  I probally is just a configure error

> thanx.
> john.

Try these out and see if it solves the problem.

-
Travis