Date:      Tue, 05 Sep 2000 15:36:03 -0700
From:      "Tomlinson, Drew" <Drew.Tomlinson@lc.ca.gov>
To:        "'FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   How to Tell FBSD to Use Proxy Server

--Boundary_(ID_zZ7GS0fV4holpVdsq0X7Vg)

I am very new to both Unix and FreeBSD but have experience with DOS and
OpenVMS.  What I'm trying to do is get my FreeBSD machine to use a proxy
server (Wingate) I have running under Windows 2K on my home network.
Specifically, I want to have FreeBSD use proxy for www and ftp.

I'm not sure I'm making sense but I want to start an ftp session on my
FreeBSD box.  My FreeBSD box is only connected via LAN to my Win 2K machine.
The Win 2K machine has an Internet connection and is running proxy server
software (Wingate).  I want FreeBSD to connect to the Internet through the
Win 2K machine.

I have looked for info on this subject in the handbook and in various Unix
books I have at work but have not found anything on the subject.  Coming
from a DOS/Windows world, I expect that I have to tell the client software
to use the proxy server.  Does this hold true with FreeBSD?

I'm running "FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE #0: Mon Mar 20 22:50:22 GMT 2000" as
reported from dmesg in a 486 box.  My network card is a NE2000 compatible.
Did I forget any relevant information?

Thanks,

Drew

--Boundary_(ID_zZ7GS0fV4holpVdsq0X7Vg)

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>How to Tell FBSD to Use Proxy Server</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I am very new to both Unix and FreeBSD =
but have experience with DOS and OpenVMS.&nbsp; What I'm trying to do =
is get my FreeBSD machine to use a proxy server (Wingate) I have =
running under Windows 2K on my home network.&nbsp; Specifically, I want =
to have FreeBSD use proxy for www and ftp.&nbsp; </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I'm not sure I'm making sense but I =
want to start an ftp session on my FreeBSD box.&nbsp; My FreeBSD box is =
only connected via LAN to my Win 2K machine.&nbsp; The Win 2K machine =
has an Internet connection and is running proxy server software =
(Wingate).&nbsp; I want FreeBSD to connect to the Internet through the =
Win 2K machine.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I have looked for info on this subject =
in the handbook and in various Unix books I have at work but have not =
found anything on the subject.&nbsp; Coming from a DOS/Windows world, I =
expect that I have to tell the client software to use the proxy =
server.&nbsp; Does this hold true with FreeBSD?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I'm running &quot;FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE =
#0: Mon Mar 20 22:50:22 GMT 2000&quot; as reported from dmesg in a 486 =
box.&nbsp; My network card is a NE2000 compatible.&nbsp; Did I forget =
any relevant information?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Drew</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_zZ7GS0fV4holpVdsq0X7Vg)--