Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 1997 11:53:46 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        Ben Black <black@zen.cypher.net>, Mr M P Searle <csubl@csv.warwick.ac.uk>, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quad Pro 150 motherboard?

On Sun, 27 Apr 1997, Steve Passe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > a 4 or 6 CPU P6 board for *other* than a large server...think about that
> > for a few minutes.
> >
> > (hint: NT4 Workstation can't handle more than 2CPUs and that is the most
> > popular commercial SMP-capable OS)
>
> Actually we have several users reporting success with 4-CPU freeBSD SMP
> systems!  A 4-CPU systems makes sense for more than just servers.  A
> development system for one.  With our parallel make you can
> keep 4 CPUs busy with a group of parallel compiles.

Just what I was going to say. :-)

It may be even worse, depending on what you are developing - I currently
tend to hog with compiles not only my machine but also at least one of our
servers as testing will have to happen on my box no matter what. They all
are 1 processor only on the moment. A 4 proc. one really wouldn't hurt - I
have got to profile it somewhere as well.

	Sander