Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 98 09:00:23 +0200
From:      Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr
To:        jingang@cyberway.com.sg
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Q: master.passwd and shadow on Sun

Hello,

There is no way of converting RC5-encrypted passwords (beginning with
$1$) to DES-encrypted passwords (usual way of things in the UNIX world).

You will have to first reconfigure your FreeBSD system to use DES
encyption (I don't remember how ...) Then you can exchange enrypted
passwords.

You can also use NIS/YP to allow SUN passwords to be recognized by your
FreeBSD system.

	TfH