Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 14:07:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Spidey <beaupran@iro.umontreal.ca>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mounting / Read-Only

Hi!

I am currently in the process of enforcing a policy of / and /usr
being mounted read-only.

I would like to know if other people have tried this policy and/or the
modifications that have been needed.

Right now, I have been forced to turn off "UPDATE_MOTD" (duh!).

There is also the following lines in /etc/rc

# Whack the pty perms back into shape.
chflags 0 /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]*
chmod 666 /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]*
chown root:wheel /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]*

that give annoying warnings (read-only filesystem). A good idea would
be to change it to:

# Whack the pty perms back into shape.
chflags 0 /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]* 2> /dev/null
chmod 666 /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]* 2> /dev/null
chown root:wheel /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]* 2> /dev/null

since it does not produce any output normally either.

I was also wondering... If we can modify the status (RW/RO) of a
mounted filesystem (/ included) with mount -u, why bother? :))

What is the purpose of mounting a filesystem ReadOnly, since it can be
disabled? Does it serve the same function as the schg flag? I think
the securelevel does not change this behavior, right?

Anyways, any personal experiences or advices are welcome.

Thanks

The AnarCat

--
Si l'image donne l'illusion de savoir
C'est que l'adage pretend que pour croire,

Lofofora
------- end of forwarded message -------