Date:      Wed, 13 Jul 2022 16:57:52 +1000
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: offline install of perl

On 13 July 2022 7:16:59 am AEST, Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara=2Eorg> wr=
ote:
 > On Tue, 12 Jul 2022 16:06:06 -0400
 > Ryan Richter <ryan@2solnu=2Enet> wrote:
 >=20
 > > I have a machine with a fresh install of freebsd 13=2E1 which will
 > never
 > > be conected to the internet=2E  I need to install perl on it (nothing
 > > else), but I can only transfer files by usb drive from linux
 > machines=2E
 > > This seems like a simple thing, but I've been looking at
 > documentation
 > > for a long time now and I can't find anything=2E  pkg looks relevant,
 > but
 > > it is not actually installed,
 >=20
 > 	This may help:
 >=20
 > <https://unix=2Estackexchange=2Ecom/questions/215699/how-to-install-and=
-configure-freebsd-without-internet-access>

G'day Steve,

I  can only say that the process of using bsdconfig's packages menu to ins=
tall packages from DVD1 (whether as a DVD or memstick) without a network co=
nnection, is completely broken on FreeBSD 12=2E3 ( a currently supported re=
lease)=2E

So far I have no clue as to when it last did work =2E=2E there seems littl=
e interest in (or comprehension of) the notion that not everyone has good i=
nternet access=2E  What 3rd world?

I've spent many days over the last couple of months getting it to work, an=
d I'm in the midst of writing up the 4 patches needed to fix it, with which=
  I finally got it working to install Xorg, KDE and a few other things rece=
ntly=2E Poor health has slowed me down but I'm determined to finish fixing =
this=2E

I can't say whether it's been fixed in 13 - I suspect not - without seeing=
 a few relevant files from bsdconfig and a listing of the /packages directo=
ry on DVD1=2E  Specifically:

All (four) *=2Esubr scripts from
/usr/share/bsdconfig/packages

# ls -lrtR ${dvdmountpoint}/packages > dvdpackages=2Etxt

Please contact me offlist if you (or anyone) could help mail me that?

 > > and anyway I can't find the url of any
 > > perl 5 package for 13=2E1 (the pkg servers seems to have directory
 > > listings disabled)=2E
 >=20
 > 	The only way I know is from an online FreeBSD box like this:
 >=20
 > $ pkg search -Q url perl5
 > perl5-5=2E32=2E1_1
 > Comment        : Practical Extraction and Report Language
 > Pkg URL        :
 > pkg+http://pkg=2EFreeBSD=2Eorg/FreeBSD:13:amd64/quarterly/All/perl5-5=
=2E32=2E1_1=2Epkg

That's the one on the 12=2E3 DVD1, dated Nov 4 2021=2E

[=2E=2E=2E rest elided =2E=2E=2E]

cheers, Ian