Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 2004 18:08:49 +0200
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sten_Daniel_S=F8rsdal?= <sten.daniel.sorsdal@wan.no>
To:        "Adrian Penisoara" <ady@freebsd.ady.ro>, <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Controlling access at the Ethernet level

=20
>    What would you recommand ? Are there any other elegant solutions ?
>=20
How about using 802.1Q vlan's and dedicate a vlan to each port.
If more than 4000 users then add more gateways.

Just be sure to go for switches that allow you to deny incoming already=20
tagged packets on the user side as some switches passes already tagged =
packets.

For a wireless environment i would suggest PPPoE and VLANs (separating =
them).

>    I also heard about 802.1x technology and seems to be an=20
> interesting and professional alternative; I just don't know=20
> how well supported is on the server side, namely FreeBSD.
>=20

802.1x is fairly new and not very well supported yet, expect bugs.

_// Sten Daniel S=F8rsdal