Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 17:30:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Michael Bacarella <mbac@nyct.net>
To:        visi0n <visi0n@aux-tech.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ProcFS

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, visi0n wrote:

>         I was thinking how normal programs get info about cpu and memory
> utilization in bsd's systems, (maybe sysctl ?).

In the olden days, you used to have to read kernel data structures through
/dev/mem (or friends(?)). This usually means that you have to be
privileged or at least loved by a privileged person on the system.

Lately, a lot (more) of this data is accessible through sysctl, although I
don't know exactly what. Just more.

Michael Bacarella
New York Connect Net