Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 1998 14:51:41 +0900
From:      Hidetoshi Shimokawa <simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        sprice@hiwaay.net
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, steve@FreeBSD.ORG, asami@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha ports collection?

sprice> Anyone out there working on a ports collection for FreeBSD-Alpha?
sprice> If not, I'm going to start one.  If so, how can I help?  I just
sprice> hit Jordan up with this question and he said asking here would
sprice> be a much better place.  My current Alpha hardware is pretty lame
sprice> (Multia).  It will get me started, but I'm definitely going to
sprice> be looking for a little better hardware.  Maybe others could donate
sprice> time on their boxes to further the cause?  Of course, a bunch of
sprice> new hardware donated to FreeBSD, Inc. would be gladly accepted
sprice> too. :-)

I tried to build packages on alpha. Here is the result
(after fpsetmask impremented).
The figures represent the number of packages included in the directory.
The numbers include the useless packages, for example, netscape
for FreeBSD/i386.

 1085 All
 1053 Latest
   13 archivers
    6 astro
    8 audio
   11 benchmarks
    5 biology
    7 cad
   19 chinese
   13 comms
   12 converters
    8 databases
   10 deskutils
   64 devel
   46 editors
    4 elisp
   21 emulators
  134 games
    4 german
   70 graphics
  116 japanese
   23 korean
   39 lang
   45 mail
   21 math
    6 mbone
   65 misc
  121 net
   20 news
    6 offix
   11 perl5
    3 pilot
    6 plan9
   92 print
    6 python
   10 russian
   25 security
    5 shells
   35 sysutils
    2 tcl75
    1 tcl76
    4 tcl80
    2 tcl81
   37 textproc
    7 tk41
    6 tk42
   32 tk80
    2 tk81
    7 vietnamese
   46 www
   56 x11
   11 x11-clocks
    5 x11-fm
   21 x11-fonts
   19 x11-toolkits
   20 x11-wm

I have not checked the reason of failure for all, but
common reasons are:

- dependency on i386 binary (qt etc.)
- time_t conflicts (long vs int)
- require machine/soundcard.h (most of auido ports)

- tcl cannot be compiled without fpsetmask (many depedent ports)
(I implemeted it, but to make it work correctly, we need to set compile option)

I think I can help to work on ports for alpha, My machine is EB166 (666MHz)

/\ Hidetoshi Shimokawa
\/  simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
PGP public key: finger -l simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp