Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2012 21:34:35 -0800
From:      Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
To:        VDR User <user.vdr@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, Alexander Motin <mav@freebsd.org>, Dieter BSD <dieterbsd@engineer.com>
Subject:   Re: Support for "old" hardware (was:Re: kern/148741: [sound] Headphones are deaf (do not work) on Lenovo ThinkPad X300)

On 11/27/2012 21:04, VDR User wrote:
> Yes, indeed. We passed the tipping point along time ago where
> computers became `over-powered` in regards to most users needs. I
> fully believe in and support pc recycling. However, you do get to a
> point where it becomes unreasonable to continue to support old
> hardware within new software because it's simply not a good use of
> resources to do so. Should a person spend their valued time wrestling
> to keep old hardware working? I don't know a whole lot of devs who say
> yes to that question.
>
> There's a reason support for old stuff decays or flat out gets thrown
> in the trash. If you choose to drive a 20 year old car, you've got to
> accept the fact that there will likely be some issues using it.

My response wasn't meant to argue with your general position. I agree
that support of the particular hardware piece should cease should it
become obsolete and only diminishingly tiny percentage of users still
have it. The only point of contention here is when to declare this to be
the case.

However, in this particular case there is no reason to believe that this
sound chipset gets scarce. On the contrary, significant percentage of
the user base have it and it might even still be in production. That's
why FreeBSD shouldn't discontinue its support.

Yuri