Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 17:56:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Steve Ames <steve@cioe.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Async NFS exports?

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Steve Ames wrote:

> I asked this on stable but didn't get a response... Would I get any
> performance increases by mounting NFS exported partition as Async?
>
> Would my soul be tormented in purgatory for doing it?
>
> Just to be clear... I am wondering if mounting (on the NFS _server_) a
> partition (that is exportable) as async will have any performance
> benefits to the NFS clients?

of course it will, but it'll also potentially
cause catastrophic damage to your filesystem if
the machine dies for some reason.

have a look at:
/usr/src/sys/contrib/softupdates/README
or possibly
/usr/src/contrib/softupdates/README

also, play with the nfs sysctl's and mout options to tune performance.

sysctl -a | grep nfs

good luck,
-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|alfred@freebsd.org]
Wintelcom systems administrator and programmer
   - http://www.wintelcom.net/ [bright@wintelcom.net]