Date:      Wed, 2 Jan 2002 17:43:07 -0600
From:      GB Clark <gclarkii@vsservices.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        nadir@attractive.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Commercial SQL for FreeBSD

On Wed, 02 Jan 2002 10:11:21 -0500
Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:

> Nadir@Attractive wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > For the past 2 years we have been using We use FAMP (FreeBSD, Apache,
> > MySQL, PHP) to power our commercial sites, and it has been going just
> > fine. During these two years, though, we're expanded and we would like
> > to use a commercial SQL solution for us and our customers.
>
> Since when is MySQL *NOT* a commercial product?  Monty might
> be somewhat upset if he heard you say that.  Are you sure you've worded
> your question correctly?  MySQL-AB is the company that develops MySQL
> and they'll sell you support contracts if you'd like, or sell you MySQL
> under a different license than the GPL if that's what you need.  What
> is it you're looking for?

He might be looking for something a little bit more featured.  Transactions,
sub-queries and FK support are all nice features.  Yes, some of the new
table managers support some of them but they have problems.  As an example with
InnoDB you can't do snapshots for back up, you have to stop proccessing.
(Unless this has changed in the last couple of months)

I had to use MySQL for a project for about the first 2 months and hated it.
I like being able to open up a SQL book and use the examples as is....

> > Which of the following solutions would run on FreeBSD natively and would
> > give us the quality product we're seeking:
> >
> > 1) Oracle
> > 2) IBM DB/2
> > 3) Sybase
> > 4) PostgreSQL
>
> PostgreSQL is pretty much in the same boat as MySQL as far as I can tell.
> It is the only one of the 4 listed above that has a native FreeBSD port,
> so will probably be the easiest to install.

I've used PostgreSQL for projects large and small with nary a hiccup.

I love it.

Just one note, if your using PHP's DBA_* functions you will have problems with
the PostgreSQL functions in the same file.  (its a bug that has been reported).

> --
> Bill Moran
> Potential Technology
> http://www.potentialtech.com

GB

--
GB Clark II             | Roaming FreeBSD Admin
gclarkii@VSServices.COM | General Geek