Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2012 21:59:42 +0200
From:      Paul Schenkeveld <freebsd@psconsult.nl>
To:        freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nanoBSD on GPT gpart-ed media ...

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 10:40:59PM +0300, Zeus Panchenko wrote:
> Paul Schenkeveld <freebsd@psconsult.nl> wrote:
> >
> > Assuming what you mean is a GPT partition table.
> >
> yes
>
> > One of the key features of NanoBSD is that there are two bootable root
> > partitions and the boot0 menu is used is case you want to switch back
> > to the previous version after an unsuccesful upgrade.
>
> but is it possible to sacrifice the feature for the sake of the GPT partitioning?
>

> > NanoBSD leaves the fourth slice untouched by default so you can use that
> > one for zfs.  In fact, I have several machines running exactly like that.
> >

> I was unable to use it for zfs :(
> may you share the .conf file, please?

We have an extensive build infrastructure around (the original) nanobsd.sh
script here so sharing my .conf file would only be a small part of the
puzzle I'm afraid.

In the .conf file I've set NANO_DATASIZE to the amount of space I want
to use for ZFS, nanobsd.sh will divide the rest (minus NANO_CONFSIZE)
by 2 for the root partitions.

When using a recent nanobsd.sh script, you should redefine the
populate_data_slice function to do nothing in your .conf file,
something like:

    populate_data_slice ( ) (
      # Don't newfs slice 4!
    )

Because I use this on hard drives too, I use a modified
create_i386_diskimage function that only spits out _.disk.image and not
_.disk.full (that would end up to be 500GB for my drives).

If you tell me what flash, ssd or disk drives you are using, perhaps I
can dicrect you a bit further on the easiest way to proceed.

With kind regards,

Paul Schenkeveld