Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 05:38:13 +0900
From:      Yoshinobu Inoue <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>
To:        fenner@research.att.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: With feature freeze being in place

> >Also, usual tools, rlogin, rlogind, rsh, rshd, telnet,
> >telnetd, ftp, ftpd, and inetd are already IPv6 capable.
>
> Hm.  rlogin and rsh attempt to connect, but my inetd isn't listening;
> do I have to update inetd.conf to get inetd to listen on IPv6 addresses?

Yes, if tcp, please specify

<SNIP>    tcp46   <SNIP>
or
<SNIP>    tcp6   <SNIP>

Former accept either of IPv4 and IPv6, and latter only accept IPv6.

The following 2 are same. Only accept IPv4.

<SNIP>    tcp4   <SNIP>
<SNIP>    tcp   <SNIP>

You can also specify following 2 entries for each of services
at the same time.

<SNIP>    tcp6   <SNIP>
<SNIP>    tcp4   <SNIP>

Please check inetd man page for details.

> telnet can't parse ::1:
>
> emachine% telnet ::1
> ::1: Unknown host
>
> ftp prints a very odd message:
>
> emachine% ftp ::1
> ftp: No control connection for command.

telnet, ftp, and ftpd are added today.(2000/01/27 01:28:39 PST)
So it might not yet be mirrored to your place.

> >Wmmm, maybe I should merge ping and pin6 before code freeze...
>
> I think it'd be very handy for the native ping (and traceroute, if
> possible) to be IPv4/IPv6 capable.
>
>   Bill

Traceroute/traceroute6 merging is somewhat more difficult
because traceroute is maintenanced under contrib. :(

Yoshinobu Inoue