Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 22:25:38 -0500
From:      Chris Peltier <CPELTIER@iectech.com>
To:        "'FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org'" <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   CCD and Squid

Hi,

I was wondering what CCD disk
strategy is best with Squid. Is it better to
just concatenate the drives or to stripe
across all drives. With Squids directory
cache structure can you take advantage
of reducing overall disk access time by
using multiple spindles concatenated?
I would think that disk transfer rate is
not as important in this application and
reducing access time by keeping logical
I/Os on a single spindle (instead of involving
them all) is.

Does anybody have any thoughts or experience
with this?

I am building a Squid proxy with a 266MHZ PII,
512mb memory, and 3 - 9mb  Ultra wide, Seagate
Barracudas plus a system/swap disk. I am setting
this up as a parent server for our much smaller
siblings.
FreeBSD 2.2.2 is the OS.

Sincerely,
                        Chris Peltier