Date:      Tue, 04 Jul 2000 08:17:50 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "SoftGuitar@aol.com" <SoftGuitar@aol.com>
Subject:   Re: Why BSD for my company ?

On Sat, 1 Jul 2000 17:36:47 EDT, SoftGuitar@aol.com wrote:

>   I am new to Unix but am taking training usiing a SCO system for my class.
>What advantage would I have using FreeBSD over getting a SCO or Solaris
>system for my little growing business.

You could always install FreeBSD for free and decide for
yourself if you think it would help you.

We have also recently opened an egroups list to discuss BSD in
organizations.
egroups.com/group/bsd_corporate.

A quick  few reasons to try FreeBSD
-It comes with a complete environment for you to try, specially
if you get the CDs. When you get Solaris you have to go and get
a big long list of productivity programs before you can use your
computer to the fullest. For example Solaris doesn't come with a
compiler.

-FreeBSD port system makes it very easy to add programs which
have ports for. For solaris it is is more of a manual setting
such as get file, ungizip, configure, make, install. The ports
system takes care of everything for you. make install. When you
are done or no longer need the port just "make deinstall".

-FreeBSD will run on small/old computer which may be fine for
particular needs such as caching DNS for your company. With
Solaris you will need more expensive Sparc or a bigger Intel box
to run Solaris for Intel.

-FreeBSD has a very active community willing and able to help
you. Solaris is a more corporate setting.

I am not familiar with SCO, but some of the points or all I made
about Solaris may apply. You could probably judge this since you
are taking some classes.

Best of luck.

Francisco