Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 1997 20:44:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Kenneth R. Westerback" <krw@tcn.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Communicator 4.0b3 Java Problem solved 'startx -- -bpp 16'!

Another poke through the mail archives and a desparate look at an old
message from last year and .... voila.

The problem (my problem at least!) turns out to be a requirement that you
be running X with >256 colours.  The old message I found mentioned that an
old netscape navigator blew up because it didn't have enough colour map
entries to play with so I thought what the hell and finally buckled down
and fixed my XF86Config to use 800x600 at bpp 16 instead of 1280x1024
at bpp 8, and summoned X with 'startx -- -bpp 16'.

And suddenly Java pages and the Communicator Java console appeared without
a floating point exception in sight!

I hope this helps a few of the poor souls who shared the non-java
purgatory with me!

To summarize:

I used the port to install, modified no files, copied the java files
nowhere they weren't and with bpp = 8 got floating point exceptions but
with bpp = 16 got none.

 ---- Ken