Date:      Sat, 07 Jun 1997 22:26:11 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <G.Sittig@abo.freiepresse.de>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sendmail stuff...

Alexander Batzios wrote:

> ...  However,I need to have the
> "127.0.0.1     independence" line in my /etc/hosts file because many
> many other wonderful stuff I run need it. ...

That's not actually a sendmail problem -- it's just that
a) by convention (?) address 127.0.0.1 is assigned to
   name "localhost"
b) the host's real name has a different IP address
   in case you don't have a real one -- there are some
   ranges reserved for testing purposes (don't remember
   the RFC, but they are 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x through
   172.31.x.x and 192.168.x.x (that's why you see these
   here that often :)

Now your hosts file should read
 127.0.0.1    localhost
 192.168.x.x  independence
and everything's fine (and you won't confuse the helping friend
wondering why 'ping localhost' won't work :).

--
virtually yours -- G.Sittig@abo.FreiePresse.DE