Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 2009 09:45:57 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        gary.jennejohn@freenet.de
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Does vbox have support for cd-rom or usb in winxp guest?

> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 18:31:26 +0200
> From: Gary Jennejohn <gary.jennejohn@freenet.de>
>
> On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 09:17:38 -0700
> "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net> wrote:
>
> > > Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:38:34 +0200
> > > From: Gary Jennejohn <gary.jennejohn@freenet.de>

> > > This statement interests me because, as I've posted several times, I can't
> > > even start W7RC with acceleration turned on (running a recent 9-CURRENT).
> > > Everything worked with older versions of the kernel and port.
> > >
> > > What version of FreeBSD and of the port are you using?
> >
> > Yes, I have seen your reports and I don't see anything like it.
> >
> > I'm running FreeBSD 8.0-RC1 and have been using VB running Windows 7
> > Release (not RC) since 8.0-BETA1.
> >

> This sort of confirms my suspicion that something has changed in the
> 9-CURRENT kernel to break VirtualBox.  It worked just fine until I
> installed a new kernel at the beginning of last week :(
>
> Hmm, you're running an Intel box?  I run AMD64.  Might also be a
factor.

Yes, it is a 4 year old 2 GHz Pentium-M, so AMD64 is not available.

> > networking and both work fine for me. No problems encountered at all
> > other than that memory utilization tends to sit at 85% or more and
> > paging and swapping on the Windows system makes it very slow and makes
> > running more than one app at a time impractical. W7 simply can't run
> > well with 512 MB of memory.
> >
> > I ordered memory for my ThinkPad yesterday, so I hope that I'll have
> > double the memory next week.
> >

> More memory definitely helps.  I allocated 1GB to W7RC and it runs OK
> with that.  But then, I have 4GB in my box.

Due to the Intel 915 chip, my system is restricted to 2 GB, but that
will let me run a 1G guest. The VB is on a USB disk, too, which does not
help performance, but lets me move the guest system from host to host
which is proving very handy!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)