Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 17:34:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Filesystem size limit?

:
:>     And, of course, the reader uses a multi-fork/multi-thread design,
:>     resulting in an extremely optimal footprint.
:
:I hate your threads.  Still trying to see some parts of the bigger
:picture.  But it was a reasonable design decision, I'll grant.

    heh heh.  Be happy, it's second generation -- the first generation
    was what I did in BestWWWD which was nearly impossible to follow.
    The procedure-state-based model that dreaderd uses is actually reasonably
    close to what you would have to use in a threading model anyway, the
    only difference being that the subroutines would not have to do
    non-blocking-returns-to-the-main-select-loop.

    Remember, I did this before we had a working RFMEM rfork() *OR* a
    reliable aio subsystem.  These days I would simply use the linux threads
    library under FreeBSD (at least until we get our new threads library
    working) and take the 'thousands of processes' hit (which is ok by me
    since the page table is shared).

						-Matt