Date:      Sun, 5 Nov 1995 14:04:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More nits

> At 11:48 PM 11/4/95, David Greenman wrote:
> Along those same lines, I would hope that the CD could contain enough of a
> framework to make it fairly easy to generate a custom kernel install
> floppy. It would be a big win if we could offer the ability to build custom
> floppies for unusual configurations (like those 4meg'ers that can't make it
> under the wire) or the atapi driver that doesn't quite make it into the
> release, but for which we might find a solution for certain machines.

I really think the cdrom should contain a 4MB boot disk
there are several assumptions we can make that make this possible..

1/ 4MB machines will almost definitly be IDE/ESDI
  ergo we don't need SCSI.. that's a LOT of space right there..
2/ they are installing from cdrom or DOS.. or other non network system.
  ergo we don't need network stuff

taking those out MUST make a kernel that can boot in 4MB..
don't tell me that it doesn't fit or it's too much work..
if we can't fit another floppy on the cdrom there's a problem..

We gotta give these guys a way of installing....