Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 2003 22:45:20 +0000
From:      Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <underway@comcast.net>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More trivia: origin of the wheel group

--AJu7IxIPovG6hMTN

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 10:12:39AM -0800, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org> writes:
>=20
> > The only place I can remember hearing the term, "big wheel", before is
> > in a Simpson's episode where Milhouse describes his dad as a, "big
> > wheel down at the cracker factory", or something like that!
>=20
> I wonder if that shouldn't have been "big wheel down at the cheese
> factory".
>=20
> But that's exactly how the term is most often used -- referring to
> a high-level executive.
>=20
> I very much doubt if the term started with, or was even popularized
> by, the Big Wheel tricycle which came out in the mid '60s, but I don't
> know for sure.  It'd sure be nice to have an OED or other etymological
> reference book.

My Cassell's Dictionary of Slang says that "big wheel" originates from
the 1930s:

	big wheel n. [1930s+] an important, influential person, esp. in
	     business. [the image of a smooth-running, powerful machine]

I seem to remember a reference somewhere stating that the term was due
to the fact that only important people could afford horse-drawn
carriages, but I can't cite (or find) it at the moment.

Ceri

--=20

--AJu7IxIPovG6hMTN

--AJu7IxIPovG6hMTN--