Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 1996 14:47:45 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ed0 timeouts

David,

>>I currently am writing code for the FreeBSD SMP kernel that will allow
>>us to use symmetric IO handling with all CPUs.  This basically
>>involves changing the kernel to use a device called the "IO APIC"
>>in place of the 8259s.  I now have code that does this, with all INT
>>devices working properly EXCEPT for my ed NIC card.  I have tried different
>>slots and different cards, but I continue to get:
>>
>>[ date/time ] /kernel: ed0: device timeout
>>
>>I am occasionally loosing the INTs expected to be generated by ed_xmit().
>>The ed_watchdog() routine usually recovers gracefully (network actually
locked
>>twice since running this code: approx 2/3 weeks).  Could someone explain
>>why the ed0 cards might loose this INT?  Any clues/insight appreciated!
>
>  Not much I can say about this...there isn't anything special I can think of
>about the 'ed' cards that would cause them to lose interrupts. What type of
>card do you have?

I currently am using:

ed0 at 0x300-0x31f irq 10 maddr 0xcc000 msize 16384 on isa
ed0: address 00:00:c0:e6:59:48, type WD8013EPC (16 bit)

I also tried an 8216C Ultra with the same results.
I am using the "hard config" jumper, I also tried a soft config @ IRQ5, 0xD8000

my current debug counters show:

 0x2cbe calls to ed_xmit()
 0x2xb7 tx INTs received
      7 watchdog timeouts

in an uptime of 1 hour, 37 minutes

There is still some possibility that the 8254 clock is being mishandled.
The APIC straps it to IRQ2 and ALOT of the kernel code believes it
is at IRQ0, I could have missed one of these points.  Is there anything
possible as reguards 8254 problems???

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD