Date:      Sat, 24 Jul 1999 13:36:19 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <van.woerkom@netcologne.de>
To:        dfr@nlsystems.com
Cc:        van.woerkom@netcologne.de, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RIVA update: specs & more

> I don't know if it will be monday but it will be very soon. Some fixes
> missed the deadline for 3.3.4..

The sheer size of XFree86 and Mesa slows down testing, certainly not only
on my side.

> I'm a member of the XFree86 project, mainly to see that 4.0 supports
> FreeBSD/alpha properly

That is very good to hear.
So we have at least one person who is aware of what is going on there.

(And it spares me a second try to join, what after me letting off some steam
on Slashdot last week might be not a good idea right now)

It should be possible now to collect a useful OpenGL environment for FreeBSD.
The results should materialize as ports somewhere in the ports collection.

Sources are XFree86, the g200-dev list (GLX), the nvidia site, Mesa (GL, GLUT)
and some other places I have not identified yet (GLTT, GLUI, benchmarks, demos).

I subscribed to g200-dev, and will have a look at the Mesa development.

>but I obviously have a strong interest in the 3D side of things too.

The availability of accelerated 3d is beautiful. It is not only fun to have
(games etc.) but useful for serious work too.

E.g. I wish I had it at the time when I wrote up my physics diploma (solidification
sims). Today I still might not be able to work with large geometries of 50k-200k of
finite elements on my home box, but it would be good enough to evaluate test cases.

Regards,
Marc