Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 22:31:38 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        big-sky@altavista.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network card help needed

Please format your mailer to wrap lines at 72 characters or so.

big-sky@altavista.net wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> error comes back saying
> ed0 - no such device name
>
> This got me thinking about dc0. ls /dev/dc0 and came back no such
> file. dc0 works fine, but where is its device name?

In the kernel.  You won't find a device node for a NIC in /dev because
/dev only contains links to block or character devices.

> What am I doing wrong?
>
> This machine was running 3.2 and the devices were pn0 and ed0 and
> worked. The hard drive failed so I bought a new drive and installed
> 4.0.

pn0 has indeed moved under the more generic banner of dc0 in 4.0 and
-CURRENT.  Perhaps you didn't configure your kernel correctly, or perhaps
your chipset is non-standard?  I have several Bay Networks FA310TX
(Lite-On chipsets) and these work fine with dc0.  I don't know about your
specific card, though.

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2