Date:      Sun, 30 Nov 2003 13:58:05 +0000
From:      Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
To:        Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ifconfig(8) refactoring -- YACC grammar now online

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 01:12:42PM +0100, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> What I've thinking about a lot is to make the networking system and
> ifconfig sort of class-based like newbus and geom.

Look at: http://people.freebsd.org/~bms/dump/nifconfig/nifconfig-design.txt

There is a pending change to if_gre to enable it to be easily classified
in this way; ifconfig would simply query the interface for its if_type. This
is one way to do it without having to change struct ifnet. We could add a
new field, but avoiding changing the ABI is a Good Thing.

BMS