Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 16:06:03 +0100
From:      James Raynard <fhackers@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        rotel@indigo.ie
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PR kern/1144

On Mon, Apr 13, 1998 at 01:47:14PM +0000, Niall Smart wrote:

> The abovementioned PR is for sig{add, del}set and sigismember.
> Apparently POSIX requires that these functions check that the
> specified signal number exists, which they currently do not do.

Ah yes, that was one I submitted so long ago I'd forgotten about
the email account I sent it from. :-)  BTW if whoever was responsible
for the weekly mailing of outstanding PRs is reading this, is there
any chance of getting it back?

> These functions are currently defined as macro's, I don't see any
> nice, fast, MT-safe way that only evaluates the signal number
> argument once that adds the checking that POSIX requires while
> keeping them as macros.

I very much doubt that one exists.

> So should I submit patches to fix this
> problem by deleting the macro definitions and adding the required
> checking to /usr/src/lib/libc/gen/sigsetops.c or are we going to
> ignore POSIX?

The consensus seemed to be that there was no easy way to do it, so
we've been ignoring POSIX ever since (in that respect at least) :-)

Incidentally, I've been working on some patches to get around the
NSIG==32 limit.  I've done most of the "boring" work, but there are
a few things left over that I don't really know enough to handle:

1. Emacs breaks (albeit an old version - 19.29).  Everything else
   I've tried works, including linuxxdoom.

2. I had to add an extra system call osigprocmask for the compat stuff
   which does exactly what the old sigprocmask call used to do.  This
   makes upgrading to the new code a real pain.

3. Could probably do with optimising, as well.  Not to mention the usual
   stylistic/code management issues...

Anyone care to help me out?

James