Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:01:56 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
Cc:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netboot

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 11:55:25AM -0800, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 08:38:58PM +0100, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> > I'm trying to refresh my memory WRT netbooting:
> >
> > There used to be a subdirectory /sys/i386/boot/netboot or something like
> > that but I don't find it anymore.
> >
> > Was it that one could also write the rom contents into a .com (DOS executable)
> > and boot a DOS floppy and put the netboot.com in AUTOEXEC.BAT to enter
> > the netboot procedure?
> >
> > I believe there were only native drivers for WD and NE2000 cards.
> >
> > I'm thinking of the diskless option again. Does anyone know whether
> > 3COM 905c are supported in this vein?
>
> go for etherboot, it is in the ports, it works just great, and you
> can even dump the code on your hard disk (i typically do it
> on sectors 2..62, the empty part of the first track) so
> you have an etherboot partition at no cost!

Etherboot works fine; however, for 3C905c there is another solution,
which is much easier to setup (at least it was for me): PXE.
The 905c BIOS supports PXE booting, and all you need to do on
the FreeBSD server side is setup DHCP and NFS (and maybe some BOOTP
and TFTP too, I do not really remember right now).

Some documentation on setting up a PXE-booted FreeBSD installation
may be found in Alfred Perlstein's article at:
http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/pxe/article.html

G'luck,
Peter

--
.siht ekil ti gnidaer eb d'uoy ,werbeH ni erew ecnetnes siht fI