Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 1996 03:47:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu
Cc:        FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: blt2.1

 * Understand that itcl doesn't sit beside tcl, it replaces it.

I have no problem with that.  In fact I have no intention to engage in
a debate on what itcl is supposed to/not supposed to do, that's not my
expertise.

The only concern I have is consistency between packages.  Say, if the
BLT port is going to find itcl and link against it if it's found, then
we need to add a dependency for it, or the user might end up with a
package that doesn't work because of missing package dependencies.

Maybe we are nearing the end of our package scheme, it's just not
capable of handling situations like this.  But that's why I'm very
sensitive about ports that want to auto-detect and use every utensil
in the kitchen they can find, because our build machine tends to have
the whole three-story toolshop which the user's machine almost
certainly does not.

Satoshi