Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2006 22:22:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Stuart Barkley <stuartb@4gh.net>
To:        freebsd-openoffice@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: openoffice-2.0 build problem (dies with epm error)

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 at 01:29 -0400, Stuart Barkley wrote:

> I have been having problems building editors/openoffice.org-2.0 for
> a while now.  Like a few others at the end of the build process
> (around 10 hours) it will die with the following error:

> ERROR: ERROR: "epm -f bsd openoffice.org-sdk /d04/data/freebsd-stable-6/ports/editors/openoffice.org-2.0/work/OOB680_m5/instsetoo_native/unxfbsd.pro/OpenOffice_SDK/bsd/listfile/en-US/epm_OpenOffice_SDK_gid_Module_Root_unxfbsd_OOB680__en-US.lst -v  2>&1 |"!
> in function: call_epm

I have now done several more rebuilds on the two machines I have been
using.  The build always fails on my primary build machine (A) and
always succeeds on my test machine (B).

My latest attempt used a fresh 6.1-BETA4 install on (B) with about 90
ports installed from packages built on (A).  This build still works on
(B) even though the build fails on the other machine (A) with the same
binary packages.

System A shows the following in dmesg:

    FreeBSD 6.1-BETA4 #0: Tue Mar 14 13:59:38 UTC 2006
        root@wv1u.samsco.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
    Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
    CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz (2423.87-MHz 686-class CPU)
      Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf24  Stepping = 4
      Features=0x3febfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM>
    real memory  = 536788992 (511 MB)
    avail memory = 515919872 (492 MB)

System B shows the following in dmesg:

    FreeBSD 6.1-BETA4 #0: Tue Mar 14 13:59:38 UTC 2006
        root@wv1u.samsco.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
    Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
    CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1.70GHz (1694.51-MHz 686-class CPU)
      Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf13  Stepping = 3
      Features=0x3febfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM>
    real memory  = 401080320 (382 MB)
    avail memory = 382959616 (365 MB)

Disk space does not look to be a problem.  I have monitored the usage
throughout the builds and there never appear to be issues.

System A has the following disk usage on the build drive:

    Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
    /dev/ad0s4d     37G     21G     13G    61%    /d04

System B has the following disk usage on the build drive:

    /dev/ad3s1d     17G    3.4G     13G    21%    /d31

I use rsync to keep the /usr/ports directory trees identical and ran
full md5 checksums to ensure that things where truly identical.  I
have also verified that the downloaded distfiles are identical between
machines.

I do have slightly custom /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf and
/etc/make.conf.  These are identical between machines.

The main package builds are done with portupgrade.  I've done the
openoffice builds both with portupgrade and by doing a make in
/usr/ports/editors/openoffice-2.0.

I'm running out of ideas.

My next plan is to setup a baseline OS install on a removable hard
drive and do a successful build on the working machine.  In two weeks
I expect to be near the machine where the build is failing and I'll
take the drive with me and try the build on the failing machine.

Either the build will work and I can try analyzing the differences
between the two installs or the build will fail in which case it might
be hardware configuration related.