Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 1996 01:27:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      wb2oyc@cyberenet.net
To:        Robert Burns <rjburns@lanzen.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Wingate Equivalent for FreeBSD ????

On 24-Oct-96 Robert Burns wrote:
>>Hi there,
>
>How do you get lan workstations to connect to the internet through a
>UNIX box connected to an ISP with ppp.  The workstations are all using
>internal TCP/IP address.

Robert,
   I presume you mean you've assigned them addresses in the reserved
network space (I use 192.168.xxx.xxx) for this myself.  Don't know how
to do it on FreeBSD, but it is possible on Linux using ipfw and the
option known as IP masquerading.  Basically, your masquerade'r acts as
the gateway, and has the real, valid Internet address.  It then presents
its address for any of the clients on your local network that you wish it
to masquerade for.  Ie, their packets appear as tho' to the net, that they
came from the single machine with the valid address.  This permits you to
"hide" an entire network behind that one machine, that masquerades for the
others.

Paul

E-Mail: wb2oyc@cyberenet.net
Date: 10/26/96