Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 1998 20:13:41 +0100 (CET)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG (ISDN for BSD)
Subject:   Re: alpha release of isdn4bsd available

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

I think we should come back to using english on this list again and
i stripped the distribution back to freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org.

> [Translation:  Stefan wants to know if the new ISDN code is going
> to come into -current and be part of the upcoming 3.0 SNAP.  Helmut
> recommends against the code coming into -current until it reaches
> BETA status, however, so that's quite unlikely.]

This code is really alpha, and i know what i'm talking about. Stefan
said, that the interactive response is better than before but exactly
there are still problems (i suspect they are in the interrupt handling
code of the HSCX) which have to be solved. The isdnd has to be debugged
more and has to be made much more stable than it currenly is. There
is almost no error recovery mechanism (with the exception what is
specified in the standards itself) available. And this list can be
continued for a long time - it is alpha code, give it a bit time and
the eyes of some people who don't dream already at night of IRQ
handling routines for not quite documented Siemens chipsets in totally
undocumented card designs.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                   Hamburg, Europe
                    "Those who can, do. Those who can't, talk.