Date:      Fri, 06 Apr 2007 09:08:54 +0100
From:      Danny Knaggs <knaggsy2000@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 6.2 on SPARC64/x86 with Promise IDE Controller

Hello all!

This is first time I've used a mailing list, so bear with me!

I've been asked to submit my findings of the ata driver in FreeBSD 6.2
on my sparc64 and x86 box from bsdforums.org.

Link to my thread: http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48682

I've just installed a Promise IDE Controller card (Ultra 133 TX2 -
PDC20269) in my Sun Ultra 10 and have come across a slight snag.

If I don't put in "hw.ata.ata_dma=0" in the loader options I get DMA
timeout errors after it has queried the HDD on the Promise controller.

I have found a link which someone else has a similar problem (NetBSD on
Alpha) which maybe useful:
http://archive.netbsd.se/?ml=freebsd-alpha&a=2007-02&t=3177803

Now, after BSD has loaded I can successfully change the DMA mode to
UDMA66 on the HDD without any problems (get ~30MB/s transfer rate,
compared to ~15MB/s when using the on-board controller using "dd"). Any
higher and I get DMA timeout messages.

The HDD works fine when it's attached to the on-board controller.

Now, I thought I try the same Promise IDE card in x86 box with FreeBSD
6.2 and found something interesting...

The HDD will not operate correctly at UDMA133 - it performs very slowly
(<15Mb/s).

Forcing the HDD to run at UDMA100 gives me 64Mb/s transfer. Which is
roughly what I expect.

So, it seems something is broken with the ATA driver - Sparc/Alpha
getting the worse of it!

If anyone has ideas/brainwaves/etc - I'm willing to give it a whirl!

Thanks in advance.

Dan.