Date:      Fri, 1 Oct 1999 09:32:09 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <jeremyp@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au>
To:        David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new sigset_t and upgrading: a proposal

On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 08:48:34AM +1000, David O'Brien wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 06:25:56AM -0700, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>> > Cons
>> > ----
>> > o  Upgrading from 3.3 and before to -current is only possible after
>> >    an upgrade to post 3.3.
>>
>> Not good.
>
>We recommend that 2.2.x people upgrade to the latest 2.2-STABLE offering
>before trying to jump to 3.x via `make {upgrade,world,aout-to-elf}.

I thought it was `2.2.8-RELEASE or later', not `the latest
2.2-STABLE'.  (I know this has been stated regularly in various
mailing lists, but I can't find the exact wording in the FAQ or
handbook).  AFAIK, this recommendation was more along the lines of
`it's known to work with 2.2.8 and isn't guaranteed to work with
earlier releases'.  I'm fairly certain I've upgraded machines from
2.2.6 or 2.2.7 to 3.x without installing 2.2.8.  If we implement this
change, it will be `the upgrade is guaranteed not to work unless you
are running 3.x from 1st October 1999 or later'.

I believe that the above also implies that there should be a
3.4-RELEASE before 4.0-RELEASE (I'm not sure what has been planned)
so that there's a -release that is upgradeable to -current.

In any case, I'm not sure that this is a particularly clean solution:
1) It is a specific work-around for this problem and does not solve
   the general problem:  Buildworld should not use be using tools
   built for the new world with the current kernel.
2) It's not a change that can be applied to -current, tested and then
   MFC'd.  This increases the likelihood that it will break -stable.

Peter
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)                    peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au
Alcatel Australia Limited