Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 16:18:26 -0500
From:      Prashant Dongre <pdongre@opentech.stpn.soft.net>
To:        Alex Weeks <Alex_Weeks@capitalland.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Routing between two subnets

Alex Weeks wrote:

> I know this should be an easy one but I seem to be hopelessly stuck.
>
> Using ficticious numbers I have subnet 10.1.1.96 one one side of the
> machine and 10.2.1.96 on the other side.  Both with a 27 bit mask (I know
> it shouldn't matter).  Let's say that the FreeBSD machine is 10.1.1.97 and
> 10.2.1.97.  From the 10.1.1.96 network I can ping 10.2.1.97 but I can't
> ping any other addresses on the 10.2.1.96 network.  From the 10.2.1.96
> network I can't even ping 10.1.1.97, which is really baffling.
>
> If anyone sees anything I could possibly have done wrong or has any
> suggestions on how to track down the problem I would really appreciate it.

Check default route on FreeBSD.

Check netmask and default gateway in the other systems that you want to pinging.

Try using 'traceroute' how far and which network path it takes to reach a
particular node.

Make sure that, if the system is on the same subnet and FreeBSD is going to
route packets to other subnet, then for all the nodes make FreeBSD node as
Gateway.

Prashant.