Date:      Wed, 5 May 2004 00:09:40 +0200
From:      Christian Hiris <4711@chello.at>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        David Wassman <dmwassman@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Sound server issue

--Boundary-02=_wSBmAH+ehCclIMn

On Tuesday 04 May 2004 07:14, David Wassman wrote:
> I have tried all that (recompile the kernel with the devices pcm and sbc
> added) but when I type
>
> dmesg | grep ESS
>
> Nothing happens. I am going to try loading sbc manually and not PNP and s=
ee
> if that works. Any other suggestions?

Yes David, some more suggestions:

1.
If possible, boot your system from win to figure out irq and port settings =
of=20
your soundcard. Then enter the win settings into /boot/device.hints config.
=20
from /usr/src/sys/conf/NOTES:

# For non-PnP cards:
device		sbc
hint.sbc.0.at=3D"isa"
hint.sbc.0.port=3D"0x220"
hint.sbc.0.irq=3D"5"
hint.sbc.0.drq=3D"1"
hint.sbc.0.flags=3D"0x15"

2.
Some DSDTs expext to find a microsoft os on your machine. in case of this t=
he=20
tunable "hw.acpi.osname" can be set to the expexted os-name (man 4 acpi).

3.
You can use acpidump(8) to disassemble the ACPI DSDT table to ASL and dump =
it=20
to a file. Edit any suspect code in there and use iasl(8) to recompile ASL =
to=20
AML bytecode. The resulting bytecode can be loaded from userland instead of=
=20
the original AML code by adding the lines =20

	acpi_dsdt_load=3D"YES"
	acpi_dsdt_name=3D"/boot/your_dsdt.aml"=20

to your /boot/loader.conf.=20

Peter Schultz has written an ACPI howto, which describes step by step how t=
o=20
fix your DSDT. http://bis.midco.net/pmes/acpi.html

regards=20
ch