Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 2023 20:51:09 -0500
From:      "Varun Agrawal" <varun@guag.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Collecting performance counter on AMD Zen processors

--5bcc403860ff43b4ab675754dba3db05

Hello,

I run FreeBSD 14 on a machine with AMD Zen3 cores. I want to collect CPU performance metrics such as IPC, L1/L2/L3 miss rate, TLB miss rate, etc. To my surprise, I don't find any tool that supports collecting this data.

I find that FreeBSD has support for collecting this data using hwpmc, but hwpmc only supports the AMD K7 and K8 architecture. Is someone planning to add support for AMD Zen cores? If not, I can help add this support.

If there is another way to collect CPU performance counter data on FreeBSD, I would like to learn about that too.

Regards,
Varun