Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 13:49:19 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Aaron Hill" <fbsdlist@futureuse.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   User access to serial port? yaps

Hello,

I've recently installed the yaps port and have it sending messages
successfully via a modem. However it only works for the root user - not any
standard user accounts.

Here's the special file for the serial port the modem connects to ...

crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer   28, 129 Feb 19 13:31 /dev/cuaa1

... and it is this file that yaps refers to for access to the modem. Here's
the yaps executable ...

-rwx--s--x  1 bin  dialer  80212 Feb 18 15:45 /usr/local/bin/yaps

So from that any user *should* have access to the serial port via the yaps
program. I've tried changing the permission of the serial port file to ...

crw-rw-rw-  1 uucp  dialer   28, 129 Feb 19 13:31 /dev/cuaa1

... just as a test but it didn't help.

Who can help me out here? Where else does FreeBSD control access to the
serial ports?

FYI - The error yaps gives a user account is ...

Unable to dial Telstra

... and I'm pretty sure the problem isn't an internal yaps permission issue.

Thanks
Aaron Hill