Date:      Sun, 5 Jun 2005 15:49:14 +0200
From:      Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vesa

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 10:45:02AM -0300, Cesar Mello wrote:
> I'd like to do some research on framebuffer GUIs (without Xorg) in
> FreeBSD. My background is C/C++ programming, Win32 and a bit of xlib. I've
> read the developer handbook but it didn't seem to have enough information
> for me. Can you please point me to more information about framebuffer
> development for FreeBSD (if any exists), or about how I can start doing a
> video driver for example? I have no idea if this should be done in kernel or
> userland, and if in userland, what must I do to have access to video
> hardware.

The framebuffer support in FreeBSD is pretty weak, look at the VESA
part of syscons. You might want to have a look at KGI too, but I'm
not sure if that is still actively supported. If you want to do more
work in that area, you might want to talk with Sascha Wildner from
DragonFly, he's been improving syscons lately.

Joerg