Date:      05 Apr 2003 21:32:01 -0500
From:      Stef Telford <stef@chronozon.artofdns.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: atmel drivers

On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 18:28, Wes Peters wrote:
> It's off-topic for this mailing list, but quite understandable.  The
> best place to bring it up is probably mobile; I've directed replies
> there.  The best *person* to contact is most likely Warner Losh, who
> has written and/or coordinated much of the support for PCCards,
> CardBus, etc. in FreeBSD, so I cc'ed him too.

ah, thank you and sorry for any inconvenience, after
this email i will automagically drop you from being
cc'd (polite manners and all :) of course, in this
case it would also be prudent of moi to join mobile :)

> Sounds like something we need.  I've got a prism1 and prism2 card I
> could donate, but that won't solve the larger problem;

thank you for the kind offer, but as its been (hopefully) explained,
more and more 'old' 802.11b cards are starting to 'convert' to the
atmel chipset. from what -i- have seen under (*ahem*) other os's
this is probably due to the fact that the chipset performs more
sanely under high and constant load. both of the old SMC prism
based cards could be labelled, at -best-, erratic.

>  I'd rather have
> support for the new chipset instead.  Warner, let me know if I can help
> by sending a card or something.

if the problem is hardware, am more than willing to try and
find someone selling a SMC v2 card cheaply online and maxing out
my flexible friend, although last i checked, my visa card was
suffering from a slight case of 'death' (or over usage, take
your pick :)

that being said, the 'source' is freely available from the
atmel driver site on sourceforge and am more than willing to
recompile the kernel to debug and all that good and helpful
stuff. although not sure if the information used in programming
was obtained by signing an NDA and if so, is it considered
'privileged information'. as usual, the standard IANAL
disclaimer applies, but may be another point to consider :)

regards and thanks
Stef Telford <stef@chronozon.artofdns.com>