Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2001 11:21:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Dmitry Mottl <dima@sinp.msu.ru>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, Dmitry Mottl wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> I have an error when I try to use IPv4 ping under jail:
> socket: Operation not permitted
>
> I have FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE
> #/sbin/ifconfig -a
> ed0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
>         inet6 fe80::200:e8ff:fe62:b65%ed0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
>         inet 192.168.0.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255

first: fix your jailed netmask. since the jail runs on the same network as
the "real machine", it should have a netmask of 255.255.255.255.

>         ether 00:00:e8:62:0b:65
> #mount -t union /sbin /jail/sbin
> #mount -t union /bin /jail/bin

union filesystems are very.. buggy. from the man page of mount_union(8):

BUGS
  THIS FILESYSTEM TYPE IS NOT YET FULLY SUPPORTED (READ: IT DOESN'T WORK)
  AND USING IT MAY, IN FACT, DESTROY DATA ON YOUR SYSTEM.  USE AT YOUR OWN
  RISK.  BEWARE OF DOG.  SLIPPERY WHEN WET.

i would suggest not using those.

> #jail /jail host1 192.168.0.2 /bin/sh
> #ping 192.168.0.1
> ping: socket: Operation not permitted
> ps. tcp/udp routines runs fine.
>
> And I have a second question.
> I have two interfaces:
> ed0 192.168.0.1 - my private subnet
> ppp0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - internet
> and a jail on ed0: 192.168.0.2
>
> So, can I organize routing between jail (192.168.0.2) and internet?
> Only throw local proxy?

the jail is mainly to isolate certain services. since jailed processes
have no idea (read, can't see) of anything outside of themselves, if it's
not handling the PPP connection, it won't be able to see the route. what
you may have to do is set up a route from the jail, over to the main host,
running packets through your ed0 interface out (basically: add a static
route routing to 192.168.0.1, which would then forward packets out to the
Big Bad Internet).

i'm not sure this would work, though, having not tried it myself.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche