Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:45:20 -0600
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: blocked mail

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 03:08:48PM -0800 I heard the voice of
Terry Lambert, and lo! it spake thus:

> In addition, the MX requirement is often that the sending
> host be in the MX list for the "MAIL FROM <user@domain>"
> domain part, or the mail will be refused as a suspicious
> relay.

That can't be right.  Incoming MX servers, and outgoing sendmail servers,
are often different.

> Probably he meant the pre-RFC2821 standard, which is what
> most mail servers on the In ternet still conform to today,
> and probably will for a very long time (may Jon Postel's
> name live forever).

Now wait just a minute!  You're not allowed to support me after I've
backed down from a position!   :-p

The pre-2821 standard is RFC974, which says:
---
It is possible that the list of MXs in the response to the query will be
empty.  This is a special case.  If the list is empty, mailers should
treat it as if it contained one RR, an MX RR with a preference value of
0, and a host name of REMOTE.  (I.e., REMOTE is its only MX).  In addition,
the mailer should do no further processing on the list, but should attempt
to deliver the message to REMOTE.  The idea here is that if a domain
fails to advertise any information about a particular name we will give
it the benefit of the doubt and attempt delivery.
---

Of course, it IS a SHOULD, not a MUST, but still...

RFC821 doesn't seem to have anything to say about MX records and their
utilization, it just defines the SMTP standard itself.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net
Unix Systems Administrator      |    fullermd@futuresouth.com