Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 19:33:03 -0200 (EDT)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv 0.45 and/or Bt848 driver

Hi Hugh,

#define quoting(lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov)
// First, the vic 2.8 framegrabber no longer seems to detect the Bt848,
// as it did before, so, I can't do video input to vic.   Was a change
// to vic required to support the modified driver?  It was working

Are you using the latest version from rah.star-gate.com ?

There was a change in the driver some time ago that required an
update of vic.

// Now, fxtv-0.45 works in 8-bit color mode (I was expecting a somewhat
// different user interface from fxtv-0.44, but it looks the same to me -
// do I have an X resources problem?), although, fxtv seems to ignore the

No, it's the same interface, with the video format menu added.

// channel selection X resources that I had set before (but, you can go up
// and down one-channel-at-a-time) in the channel space.  Was there an
// announcement of new X resources to set/handle the channels?  Is there
// another way to do this now - I saw no menu.  In any case, I assume that
// all this will sort itself out over time and has nothing to do with
// the driver changes.

The resource names have changed.  A s/Channel/Station/g in your
resource file may solve this.

// I also tried running the old fxtv, which I had squirreled away,
// and, it produced some error messages and wouldn't run.  I have
// not tried reinstalling the old driver, because, I think there
// is some new ioctl or something the new fxtv needs.  But, if
// I'm wrong about that, I could try putting the old driver back.

It really needs the latest driver upgrades to run.  This is ok.

// Environment: 2.2-RELENG as of Saturday, including the now-included
// Bt848 driver, which appears to have been updated properly (previously,
// I had the ~June driver hand-installed), fxtv-0.45, ATI Graphics
// Xpression, XFree86 3.3.1, using the Mach64 X server.
//
// So, anyway, has anyone else tried the almost-2.2.5 release
// with fxtv-0.45 using the X server in truecolor mode, and,
// if so, anything odd?  It may have something to do with the
// relatively slow ATI card, but, it was working since early
// September using 2.2.2, fxtv-0.44, and the (June?) driver.

I have experience using fxtv with two ATI cards.  At home I have
an ATI 3D Pro Turbo, 8M VRAM.  It works wonderfully in True Color
mode.  At work I have an ATI Graphics Pro Turbo, 4M VRAM, and I
cannot get fxtv to work in True Color mode.  Neither DirectV
mode, nor XImages mode work at all.  It works in 15bpp mode,
though, and I have not tried anything below this.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br
+55 21 290-4698				jonny@coppe.ufrj.br